Thursday, April 14, 2011

Finding my place

The other night I found myself thinking about the different roles I play in this world.  (I was actually starting to feel sorry for myself as I was trying to fix dinner for Jack, unload the dishwasher, and trying to tackle the pile of laundry that was in front of me all while Jack was working late.)  I thought to myself, Does he even know that our dishes don't clean themselves, the juice fairy isn't real, or that our clothes don't wash, fold and then just magically jump in the drawers and closets?  Does he know that often times I have to do this while keeping another very active human being safe and entertained?  After the small pity party that I held for myself had ended I started to think about what my husband does...  He does all of the yard work, he financially supports our family, he allows me to be who I am (which I will admit sometimes not the most pleasant person in the world), he's an amazing dad, he shares most of the responsibilities and always empties the diaper genie!  He's there to do anything that I physically I am not capable or willing to do.  He does all of this without complaining.  After this realization I'm wondering if he ever asks himself what I do... hopefully he won't start. 
Having said this, it also got me thinking about the balance between my family and career.  I was raised in a traditional family where my mom stayed home and took care of us kids.  This is not the path that I have chosen however I'm proud to say that I am a working mom.  (Sometimes I think being a working mom also makes me a better mom.)  I own this decision... The decision to say that I'm going to let someone else spend at least 8 hours a day with my child.  The decision that some nights I literally follow him to bed.  The decision that I don't do all of the things that a "traditional" wife should do (as set forth to me by the example of my mother.)  I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with stay at home moms.  I'm sure some days are nice and quite relaxing, however I'm also sure that there are those days that never seem to end!  I'm just thankful that I am part of a generation where I can make that decision and be accepted for that.  There are days that I wish I could be a stay at home mom and other days I'm thankful that I get to go to work and interact with adults (even though some of them act like children).  I'm thankful that my husband is supportive of the decisions I have made.  I don't consider myself a feminist by any means, but I truly feel thankful that I have a choice (regardless of whatever it may be).  So for now, I will continue to try to juggle all of the roles that I play... wife, mother, sister, daughter, counselor, house keeper, chef, etc... (I could list more, but I need to get to work so I can get out of here on time and fulfill some more roles in my life.) 

1 comment: